Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Reddy’s prescription for the credit fever

“If I aim for high growth and high inflation, I am sunk. I will not be politically in trouble if my growth rate slows down to 8.5 to 8 per cent. I will be in greater trouble if my Inflation rises to 6 per cent this year.” finance minister P Chidambaram at Davos on January 25.

Four days later, RBI governor Y V Reddy effectively told Chidambaram: “I won’t let you sink.” By doing nothing in the third quarter review of annual monetary policy for 2007-08, Reddy has changed RBI’s currency, from economics to politics. In a country that’s barely begun to understand the macroeconomic, strategic, financial and, of course, political implications of growth, Reddy’s prescription this quarter is once again yesterday’s pill.

Story in The Indian Express, January 29, 2008

No comments: